Gato Class historical submarine of the U.S. Navy.
The Gato class was one of the most innovative weapon systems of the U.S. Navy during World War II.
The SS212 was one of three submarines of this class that were to be built by the Electric Boat Company at Groton, CT.
The model features clearly defined vent holes, minute deck fittings, including radar scanners, periscopes, anchor, handrails and guns. The conning tower as well as many of the fittings and all guns are cast in resin. The minute details of the model and its awesome 6 ½ foot length are more than impressive …
The GATO will run smoothly surfaced, dive to a depth of up to six feet and run submerged just inches below the surface. It is powered by two electric motors, which propel twin brass propellers. At its heart is a reduction gear system, which delivers power from the motors to the propellers so efficiently, there is no excessive strain on the motors, no rapid depletion of the motor battery, thus, reaching a running time of up to 2 hours.
The hull unit and the pressure proof compartment are all made of glass fibre. The pressure proof compartment is reinforced by steel inlays and is glued into the lower hull with the Polyester laminating resin and the Micro-Balloons supplied with the kit.
• Lower hull, upper hull, bulkhead and pressure proof compartment made of glass fibre
• Conning tower cast in resin
• Rudder and dive planes cast in resin
• Complete set of fittings cast in resin (very detailed!)
• 2 drive motors with gear box
• Props, prop shafts and couplings made of brass
• All necessary accessories (such as links, screws etc.
• Ballast (approx 3.5 kg)
• Instructions and plans, 2 sheets fully detailed and drawn 1:1, as well as additional drawings in 3-D
• Complete diving system with 2 Piston Tanks 750ml and switch unit TAE2 or Tmax
The standard TAE version of the kit also includes the complete diving system consisting of two Piston Tanks with 750 ml each and electric switch unit TAE2 with AutoStop and AutoTrim.
AutoStop means, that the pumps stop automatically as soon as the tanks are fully emptied or filled.
AutoTrim means, that the model can also be trimmed manually via the AutoTrim feature, which allows you to bring the model into a state of perfect buoyancy (at about 85% piston tank volume).
Dive system Tmax offers a maximum of features for controlling Piston Tanks. In addition to AutoStop and AutoTrim this system allows for proportional fine as well as bow/aft heavy trim of the boat.
Necessary but not included:
• R/C system: min. 4 channels
• Standard servos: 3
• Speed controller min. 15Amp (2 recommended)
• Lead acid ("dry gel") battery 6V/10Amp
• Receiver battery 4.8-6V
• Polyester Resin and Micro Balloons
• Scale 1/48
• Length 1980 mm (78")
• Width 170 mm (6.7")
• Displacement emerged 16 kg submerged 17,5 kg
• Sped approx. 5,5 km/h (3,5 mph)